Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Culinaria - Spinach Quiche, Mussel Pasta Salad, Mashed Potatoes with Truffles - Prague, Czech Republic

The quiche had the right mix of the key ingredients; cheese, egg, and spinach. The truffles gave the mashed potatoes an earthy quality.
The pasta salad was uncomfortable. Since ending my strict vegetarianism, I'm hyper-aware of what I am eating. The meal I broke my principle with was peel-n-eat shrimp. To look at a creature so recently dead, to physically pull off it's legs and skin and put it into my mouth and chew was an existential act. I knew exactly what I was doing in a way that most people don't seem to.

Not long after that, I attended an oyster bake. The craggy, gray shells were taken from the ice buckets and put over a fire on a cookie sheet. Someone would turn them periodically, wearing leather gloves. Finally they were spread out on a makeshift table. I grabbed one and opened it with a special knife. Inside was a lump of delicate flesh, steaming. With great effort I overcame my fear, yes fear, and took it into my mouth. This incredible flavor was accompanied by my horror at the texture and my action. I ate four or five more.
So sitting in Culinaria, I experienced the horror again, but this time it was worse. The bodies were chewy, stiff, their little "feet" sticking out. The flavor was not enough to compensate. I forced myself to eat them, because the meal was ridiculously overpriced, but finally, with two left, I couldn't finish. Posted by Picasa

3 Comments:

Blogger Christine Estima said...

stop making me question my own strict vegetarianism! stop making me wanna eat food, you're trying to get me fat, aren't you wendy?! admit it, dammit! . . .

*drools*

i wuv it when you describe food.

7:46 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

*laugh* Currently, I'm back on the veggie wagon myself, not because of the unfortunate mussels mentioned above, but following a nauseating orgy of sushi. (I am ridiculously behind in my food posts...)

So far be it from me to promote either gluttony or carnivorism. I appreciate the compliment, though.

8:26 PM  
Blogger John said...

Wendy watched me gorge myself on delicious sushi in Portland and promptly decided it was the last time she was going to eat fish. More for me =)

2:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home